Natural Hair Regimen: Update: Back to Basics - Part 1 of 2


Since the New Year, I’ve had some extreme hair challenges and major set backs.  For one, I had a local barber cut half of the nape of hair when I only asked to edge the back of my neckline. Due to this set back, I lost a lot of my hair length and thickness. In result, it has become thin, fragile and very weak.  Trust me, I’ve lost precious sleep. It has caused undue stress and frustration, especially knowing that I use to have healthy, long, thick hair!!!

Secondly, I’ve been using Shea Moisture products, but I notice that it is not working as well as it did when I first purchased it. I’ve been using their products for about two years with no diversion. I’ve been frustrated because I recently used a protein treatment of yogurt, castor oil and ORS conditioner which left my hair extremely dry and crunchy. I’m also finding that coconut oil is also drying my hair.

I’m also noticing that Shea Moisture has slowly changed my natural hair texture from a coarse, 4c texture to a soft, straighter texture which looks similar to a blow dried, flat ironed press. I know that the product line does not contain chemicals. It is a sulfate free line, but I’m not understanding why my texture is changing. I’m not sure if they have changed their ingredients in the past two years from the time that I started using their products.

I’m also noticing that the shampoo and deep treatment from the Raw Shea and Coconut Hibiscus line (gold and orange label) is making my hair excessively dry, tangled and matted after shampooing and conditioning. What in the …..?

I’m also wondering if I am using the products incorrectly. I understand that sulfate free shampoos do no lather. I normally use two applications during shampooing. I will now limit use to one application before retiring the line all all-together.

I’ve decided to go back to basics. I will limit my use of Shea Moisture products. I will be searching for a new shampoo. I will only use raw, unrefined shea butter, castor oil along with other natural oils to get the natural kinks back into my hair.

I recently used water and shea butter ONLY to two-strand twist my hair. It was amazing!!!  It instantly thickened my strands and moisturized my hair. I will continue this regimen from this point on.

Although I believe Shea Moisture is a wonderful product line, I feel that sometimes your hair needs variation, just like your diet. I have come a long way from being a product junkie. I have no intentions to going back to my old ways! But, I do feel I need to find a new shampoo. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to list your recommendations or comments below.

Cheers on your hair journey!



Comments

Total Pageviews

Popular Post

Translate