Product Review: Au Naturale Curl Defining Crème Glaze

Due to the extreme heat and humidity, holding your two-stranded twist or other natural style can become challenging. Personally, I’ve been searching for a product that will provide hold without having a crunchy, stiff or hard feeling in my hair. I also do not want a product that will dry out my curls just to hold a style. So, I decided to try “Au Naturale Curl Defining Crème Glaze” by Dark & Lovely.

I am not a fan of their product line and have not purchased any products since the 1980’s. But, I decided to give it a try after reading the ingredients. There is no parabens, alcohol, petroleum or mineral oil. It is a moisture-based with the key ingredient of water glycerin and soybean oil. However, there are other ingredients what I can’t even pronounce which is a red flag that screams chemicals!

It is a pink, jelly-like substance and feels wet to the touch. It also has a distinct scent. I applied the product to dry hair and two-strand twisted and wrapped into Nubian knots. After taking it down two days later, I was not extremely satisfied with the appearance. It did not provide the elongation that it promised and it didn’t provide the crinkled look that I anticipated.

Due to the glycerin, which is excellent for drawing, absorbing and retaining moisture in the hair, it defined the natural curl pattern but provided shrinkage. I felt that my hair was slightly gooey or sticky, however it did feel moist and soft. By the end of the day, I was surprised to see the amount of shrinkage it produced.

Overall, if you are looking for a product that provides extreme moisture and softness I would rate it excellent. It would be great for a short afro style since it defines and enhances the individual natural curl pattern of your hair. However, if you are looking for a product that provides elongation or extreme hold. I would not recommend purchasing this product.

I don’t feel I could use it on a daily basis due to product buildup it leaves on the hair. I don’t really like glycerin-based products in my hair, however that’s only a personal preference and it all depends on how you feel about it.

I’m undecided if I will return “Au Naturale” at this point. However, I do believe in second chances, in some cases, so I will try it one more time on wet hair and see how well it performs.

                               

Comments

Total Pageviews

Popular Post

Translate