Protective Hairstyles


If you are having hair damage, you may want to try wearing a protective hairstyle. Over the summer, I find it very difficult to wear my favorite "Afro Puff" style because it's shrinks up in the heat and humidity. I've been having a love/hate relationship with my hair the past couple of months. I've also experienced some hair damage due to putting in a rinse. I thought I was being protective by not using hair color, however I still found out that it is very damaging to my hair. It probably doesn't help that I've been experimenting with new products since I started creating  videos for find out what works in natural hair.

So, I decided in the beginning of July to start wearing flat twists again. I haven't worn this hairstyle since my hair had grown the longest it has ever grown around 2001-02. When I finally decided to press my hair, it reached down the mid-section of my back! Then, I started pressing it too much and went to a salon where the stylist put a new shampoo in my hair and swore he didn't put chemicals in my hair, but then my hair started to break off. I have never been able to reach that length again. But, I'm more concerned about having healthy hair vs. having extreme length. I just feel when you have longer hair it provide more options for styling.

So, I'm on a quest for protective styling which consists of cornrows, flat twists, individual twists or braids. During this time, I have been washing my hair less frequently. I went back to washing about every 2 weeks instead of the daily weekly routine. I am using "Root Stimulator Hair Fertilizer" "African Royale Braid Spray and and my natural oils to maintain moisture between my washes. I'm also using Kinky Curly Shampoo and Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-in conditioner and Root Stimulator Hair Mayo and Replenishing Conditioner. I will also use Cream of Nature Argan Shampoo, conditioner and leave-in conditioner occassionally. Also, I notice my hair feels very moist during weekly maintainance due to using coconut oil after washing  which maintains the moisture in my hair for days.


I know natural hair can grow healthy because I use to have it! I'm determined to grow healthy hair once again. I'm determined to also take care of it. That means no harsh chemicals or heat. We need to stop taking our hair for granted and really love our coils and stop abusing it. You may really want to try a protective hair style if you are concerned about breakage or just want to grow your hair.

Enjoy the journey!

Photo Credit: Bmawufbp.blogspot.com

Comments

Total Pageviews

Popular Post

Translate